Trump threatens all-out trade war with China, tariffs on $200 billion worth of goods

President Donald Trump directed the US Trade Representative’s office to draw up a list of $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to subject to an additional 10% tariff.Trump said that the new tariff would go into effect if the Chinese government did not lower recently announced tariffs on US goods and failed to address the theft of US intellectual property by Chinese companies.The latest round of tariffs would almost definitely put the US into all-out trade war against China.

President Donald Trump threatened to escalate the trade fight with China into an all-out trade war on Monday, promising to impose massive tariffs on Chinese goods unless Beijing reverses course on its own trade actions.

March 1: Trump announces …

…read more

Source:: AOL.com

      

Trump Admin. Says Rise In Family Separations Is On Congress. It’s Not.

Watch Video

The Trump administration is abdicating responsibility for its own policy to Congress.

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen squarely blamed lawmakers Monday for a new Trump administration practice that separates families at the U.S.-Mexico border.

“Congress and the courts created this law, and Congress alone can fix it,” Nielsen said.

Her comments came in a last-minute add-in to the daily White House press briefing amid growing backlash over the practice.

Back in April, the Trump administration announced it would start cracking down, prosecuting adults who cross the border illegally as criminals instead of slapping them with a civil violation. When a parent goes for criminal prosecution, they’re separated from their kids. Nielsen says that’s the result of legal “loopholes.”

SEE MORE: 3 Governors Refuse To Send Troops To Border Amid Family Separations

“If we close the loopholes, we can keep the families together, which is what they did in the last administration until a court ruled that we can no longer do that,” she said. “After 20 days, we have to release both unaccompanied children and accompanied children, which means that we cannot detain families together. The only option is to not enforce the law at all.”

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders backed up Nielsen’s explanation. The White House says the law to prosecute people trying to cross the border illegally exists, and it’s up to the executive branch to enforce it. It says family separation is a result of the so-called “loophole” Nielsen described — and that it can’t hold families together while an adult undergoes criminal prosecution.

But here’s the thing: The Trump administration is behind the spike in separations. Its “zero-tolerance” policy dramatically increased the rate at which families are split up at the border. And back in May, President Donald Trump reportedly lashed out at Nielsen in …read more

Source:: Newsy Headlines

      

Blue Jays’ Marcus Stroman says his next start will be in MLB

Marcus Stroman is headed back to the Toronto Blue Jays, apparently.

Stroman had been rehabbing a shoulder injury and was scheduled to make a start for the double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats on Monday, but his start was rained out.

He then took to Twitter to post the following message:

I’m back. Next start in the big leagues with the squad. Shout to everyone who helped throughout the process! #HDMH @BlueJays

— Marcus Stroman (@MStrooo6) June 19, 2018

The 27-year-old’s last start was a 5-0 loss to Seattle on May 8.

The righty has struggled in 2018, going 0-5 with a 7.71 ERA in seven starts.

…read more

Source:: Sportsnet.ca

      

Top draft pick Joey Bart hopes to catch on quickly for Giants

SAN FRANCISCO — Joey Bart had never given catching much thought until circumstances beyond his control had him strapping on the equipment.

“I played center field until I was about 11 or 12 years old, and the catcher on our team got diagnosed with diabetes so he couldn’t be out in the hot sun that much,” Bart said Monday night before the Giants opened a three-game series against the Miami Marlins “I just kind of threw the gear on and took over and I never looked back.”

Bart, the No. 2 overall pick in the Major League draft arrived Monday afternoon with his parents and two older brothers.

First up was a tour of the AT&T Park, then a sessio with the media. Bart will stay in San Francisco through Tuesday. Then it’s off to the minor league complex in Arizona and eventually a Single-A assignment for the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes in Oregon.

“Whenever I’m ready, I guess they’ll make that call,” Bart said.

The Giants signed Bart to a reported $7.025 million signing bonus, the largest ever to a position player. If Bart is as far along as the Giants think he is, he’ll be in Salem soon and begin a steady ascent up the ladder.

Bart was the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year, hitting .359 with 16 home runs. He called pitches in high school, and for the past season and a half at Georgia Tech.

“About halfway through last year they let me start taking that over, and this year, I just never looked over to the dugout to the coach, and I didn’t do it all year,” Bart said.

At the time Bart met with the media, he hadn’t yet met manager Bruce Bochy and only a few of the players — Pablo Sandoval, Hunter Strickland, and of courese, Buster Posey.

Ten years ago, …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Sports

      

1 2 3 4 5 2,416