Honeywell’s ‘smart’ thermostats had a big server outage and a key feature stopped working entirely — and customers were furious (HON)

barack obama sweating getty

Honeywell had a big server outage, and its smart, internet-connected thermostats were not working as intended.
Customers were unable to control their heating via the Honeywell app as promised.
However, Honeywell says that affected thermostats are still working to control heating and cooling — they’re just under manual control, like a normal thermostat. It’s the smart features that are on the fritz.
A spokesperson said the issue lasted for only a few hours on Tuesday, but customers say there have been problems for weeks.

The internet-enabled thermostats made by $122 billion appliance giant Honeywell has been having server issues, leaving some customers unable to control their temperature via an app as advertised — and they’re furious about it.

Customers flocked to Twitter to complain about technical issues that plagued Honeywell Home, the 112-year-old company’s recent line of internet-connected devices. They said a major outage started several days ago, and problems have been ongoing for weeks. Those same customers have also complained about what they say is a lack of communication from Honeywell.

In a statement, Honeywell disputes those complaints, and says that the problems were only for a short period on Tuesday.

“Earlier today, a small number of customers using Honeywell’s Total Connect Comfort app experienced delays, which have been resolved. Their thermostats performed as designed locally, however the temperature could not be set remotely,” said Honeywell spokesperson Bruce Eric Anderson in a prepared statement.

As Anderson says, the thermostats were still controllable if owners have physical access, but the ability to control the temperature remotely via app — the main selling point of these devices — had been offline. This can cause issues for people managing multiple properties, like landlords, or those customers with mobility issues.

The outage highlights one of the persistent problems with the so-called “internet of things:” The usefulness of products are …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

Early returns promising as Raptors begin unique training camp

leonard-powell-raptors

BURNABY, B.C. – For all the talk about Kawhi Leonard’s personality or long-term plans, what has sometimes been overlooked as the Toronto Raptors get on with the business of trying to compete for an NBA title is that they’ve dropped a hefty boulder into what had largely been a still pond for the past few years.

In the Dwane Casey and DeMar DeRozan era, the pecking order on offence was well-established: It was DeRozan and then everyone else. Or, perhaps more accurately, it was everyone else and then DeRozan, as the Raptors swing man was often counted on to bail out possessions when nothing else went right.

Even as the club underwent the offensive makeover that helped Nick Nurse earn his promotion to head coach, DeRozan remained at the head of the pack with a healthy usage percentage (an estimate of the number of plays used by a particular player when on the floor) of 29.9 per cent, which was 17th in the NBA, per basketball-reference.com. That mark was well off his career-high of 34.3 the previous season, which was third in the league, behind only Russell Westbrook and DeMarcus Cousins.

Breaking the Raptors addiction to DeRozan and the predictability that made them so easy to defend in the playoffs was a significant focus of their emphasis on a more egalitarian attack last season.

What will be interesting to follow as Leonard gets integrated to a new team for the first time is that the image most have in their head of the former San Antonio Spur is the monster season he put up in 2016-17 before he sat out 73 games last year with a thigh injury.

Leonard finished third in the league in MVP voting while putting up 25.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.8 steals while …read more

Source:: Sportsnet.ca

      

Hope Village homeless camp gets new home for six months

An unsanctioned tent encampment in San Jose that local homeless advocates are touting as a model for temporary housing can stay put for six months at its third location in a couple of weeks, the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors agreed Tuesday.

The unanimous vote came a day after residents at the encampment had to leave their second location on Ruff Drive. The encampment’s 14 residents are being put up at area motels until Thursday morning while the latest Ruff Drive site — a city-owned lot between the local Service Employees International Union office and the Employment Development Department — is prepared for habitation.

The board’s action will allow Hope Village to operate on property San Jose has agreed to lease to the county for $1 a month. The encampment initially sprung up Sept. 8 on state land along Ruff Drive before it was forced to relocate to the nearby SEIU site.

Peter Miron-Conk, the co-founder of the nonprofit Casa de Clara Catholic Worker and a lead organizer of the encampment, was among the more than dozen people who urged the board Tuesday to continue supporting Hope Village. He and others also asked the board to consider expanding the site to accommodate an additional 16 residents.

“Our goal was to offer a safe environment for people and do this in a clean, organized fashion,” he said. “We think we accomplished that. Our ragtag army of four people was able to accomplish something that has not been done in years.”

A woman who identified herself as a homeless advocate and researcher in San Jose told the supervisors her research suggests the encampment model has proven to work in other cities, citing Eugene, Oregon and Seattle as examples.

“These are two municipalities who have accomplished this providing continuum of care towards permanent housing for their unhoused residents …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Politics

      

The departure of Instagram’s cofounders is a bad thing for Facebook — but it could be even worse for the rest of us (FB)

Mark Zuckerberg

Instagram cofounders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger announced on Monday they are leaving the company.
Their departure poses big risks for the service they created and for Facebook, its corporate parent.
Their resignations come as Facebook has becoming increasingly reliant on the revenue and user growth Instagram provides.
It also follows a series of scandals at Facebook that have exposed the shortcomings of Mark Zuckerberg as a leader and CEO.

It’s usually not huge news when the founders of a startup leave after their company is acquired.

But the departure of Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger from Instagram is a big deal — and not just because it was so unexpected. Their resignations are a huge blow to parent company Facebook.

Their move puts the future of Instagram up in the air even as it has become increasingly important to Facebook’s overall business. And their departure — which follows that of other other top executives — comes as it’s become increasingly clear that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg could use more, not fewer, strong voices to check his impulses and guide the company.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, the early indications are that Systrom and Krieger are leaving Instagram precisely over a difference of opinion with Zuckerberg about the future of Instagram.

Up until recently, Systrom was largely able to run Instagram on his own, according to multiple reports. Although Instagram tapped into Facebook’s engineering resources and infrastructure, its founders were largely able to stick to their own vision when running the service, and to shrug off product suggestions from their corporate parent.

But Facebook had recently begun to alter the nature of its relationship with the photo-sharing service. Zuckerberg has been personally taking a more active interest in Instagram’s direction of late, according to the Wall Street Journal. A management shakeup earlier this year appeared to …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

1 2 3 4 2,301