Active shooter in Aurora, Ill., ‘multiple’ injuries

Michael Brice-Saddler | Washington Post

Police are responding to an active shooter in Aurora, Ill., Friday afternoon.

“We are told that multiple people have been struck by gunfire,” a spokesman for the Kane County State Attorney’s Office wrote in an email Friday afternoon.

An Aurora police spokesman told The Washington Post the suspect has not been apprehended and “multiple people … multiple officers” were injured. The spokesperson could not confirm any fatalities. Those in the Highland-Prairie area were being asked to shelter in place.

Additional details were not immediately available.

…read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Nation, World

      

Photos from kids’ climate change protests: passion and Uranus jokes

LONDON, Feb 15 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Saying adults were not doing enough to deal with increasingly serious threats from climate change, thousands of schoolchildren across Britain missed classes and packed protests Friday, demanding faster action to protect their future.

“We will go back to school when you make the climate cool,” read one homemade sign in London’s Parliament Square, one of more than 60 protest locations across the country, organizers of the Youth 4 Climate strike said.

Young protesters – some in their school uniforms – whistled, chanted, waved signs and for a time blocked traffic outside Parliament, climbing on top of a red doubledecker tourist bus to demand, “Change! Now!”

Orla de Wardener, 10, said she had been inspired by the example of Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old student whose regular Friday protests outside Sweden’s parliament have led to a spreading international school strike movement.

After reading about Thunberg in a children’s science magazine, “I was totally enthralled with her. She’s amazing,” said de Wardener, a student at Weston Park Primary School near Finsbury Park in north London.

Adults, she said, do not act on climate change because “they’re involved with their money and their work. They don’t care,” said de Wardener, who sported a polar bear hat and a hand-colored sign reading, “Your failure, our future.”

Politicians, she said, “have had their life. They don’t see much point in fighting for the future.”

Her classmate, 9-year-old Iris Adderley, said she was worried about the quickening pace of extinctions in nature, and the risks of sea level rise, including flooding in Britain.

“Adults just don’t think about it enough,” she said.

Nora Mackay, 15, a student at Graveney School in Tooting, south London, said her school’s administration had discouraged students from attending the protest, “but everyone is here anyway,” she said.

“My parents said go on the march. The …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Nation, World

      

Already convicted of killing 3 women in California, his painting could help find more victims

This combination of pictures created on February 13, 2019 shows sixteen recent drawings released by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), by suspect Samuel Little, based on his memories of some of his female victims from various locations spread across the US. (FBI handout) (Ho/AFP/Getty Images)

By Kyle Swenson | The Washington Post

Despite the passing years, Samuel Little still had all the details neatly filed away in corners of his mind.

The particular shapes of noses. The way their hair was cut short or tumbled to their shoulders. The colors of their eyes. And decades later, as he sat in a Texas jail cell and received daily visitors from around the country, the 78-year-old serial killer began drawing the faces of his victims from memory.

Late last year, Little — already convicted in 2014 of murdering three women in Southern California in the late 1980s — shocked the American law enforcement community by confessing to killing more than 90 women between 1970 and 2013, a body count that would make him one of the deadliest serial killers in history.

As The Washington Post reported at the time, Little’s remarkable confession upset many of the traditional ideas about serial killers — including that a single man could stalk the United States for decades, killing victims at will, without ever being caught.

Since Little’s admission, authorities have worked to verify his claims. As the FBI noted in a news release this week, 34 murder victims have been officially confirmed. NBC News reported an additional eight cases have also recently been linked to Little.

But the sheer number of potential victims has created unique problems. Law enforcement officials have unidentified victims who may be linked to Little’s murder spree as well as accounts from Little himself of women he killed that have yet to be matched with unknown …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Nation, World

      

India PM Modi warns Pakistan of strong response for Kashmir attack

By Fayaz Bukhari and Sanjeev Miglani | Reuters

NEW DELHI/SRINAGAR, India — India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday promised a strong response to a car bombing in Kashmir that killed 44 paramilitary troops that his government blamed on Pakistan, ratcheting up tensions with the nuclear rival.

The attack on a military convoy in Jammu and Kashmir where India has been battling an insurgency was the worst in decades and comes just months before Modi’s ruling Hindu nationalists face a tight general election.

“We will give a befitting reply, our neighbor will not be allowed to destabilize us,” Modi said in a speech soon after he called his security advisers to consider a response to the attack that has provoked an outpouring of anger on social media and demands for retribution.

The Pakistan-based Islamist militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) claimed responsibility soon after a suicide bomber rammed his car laden with explosives into a bus carrying Central Reserve Police Force personnel on Thursday.

The Indian government said it had incontrovertible evidence of Pakistan’s involvement in the attack. Islamabad rejected the suggestion it was linked to the attack.

India will take all possible diplomatic steps to ensure the “complete isolation” of Pakistan, cabinet minister Arun Jaitley told reporters soon after the cabinet committee met at Modi’s residence.

As a first step, this would include India removing most favored nation trade privileges given to Pakistan, Jaitley said.

“The ministry of external affairs will initiate all possible steps, and I am here referring to all possible diplomatic steps which have to be taken to ensure the complete isolation from the international community of Pakistan,” he said.

But bilateral trade between India and Pakistan is barely $2 billion per year, and Modi, facing a tough election, is likely to come under pressure for a more muscular response.

He took office in 2014 promising to tackle …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Nation, World

      

1 2 3 4 22