Pirates’ Williams, 2 relievers 2-hit Brewers in win

PITTSBURGH — Trevor Williams pitched one-hit ball over seven innings and two Pittsburgh Pirates relievers closed out a two-hitter in a 1-0 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers on Monday night.

Williams (6-4) struck out seven and walked two for his first victory in a month. Jordy Mercer drove in the lone run with a seventh-inning double, and the Pirates won for the fourth time in five games.

The Brewers entered the day leading the NL Central but suffered their third straight loss.

The only hit off Williams was a single by Jonathan Villar with two outs in the fifth. The hit followed a walk to Hernan Perez, and the duo executed a double steal before Erik Kratz struck out to end the inning.

Williams had gone 0-2 in five starts since beating the Chicago White Sox on May 15.

Kyle Crick pitched a perfect eighth inning for Pittsburgh. Christian Yelich singled off closer Felipe Vazquez to open the ninth, ending a string of 13 straight Brewers retired. Vazquez retired the next three hitters for his 14th save in 18 opportunities.

Francisco Cervelli drew a one-out walk in the Pirates’ seventh and advanced to third on Josh Bell’s single. Josh Hader relieved Jhoulys Chacin and struck out Gregory Polanco, but Mercer followed by doubling down the left-field line to score Cervelli.

The run was charged to Chacin (6-2), who had won his previous six decisions and not lost in 13 starts since April 4 against St. Louis. Chacin allowed six hits, struck out two and walked two.

Cervelli had two hits to snap a 0-for-13 skid.

TRIBUTE TO UECKER

As a …read more

Source:: Sportsnet.ca

      

Angels ‘very optimistic’ about Shohei Ohtani’s injury recovery

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Los Angeles Angels two-way rookie Shohei Ohtani will be re-evaluated within the next three weeks to gauge progress in his recovery from a sprained ligament in his right elbow.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia announced the slight adjustment to Ohtani’s timeline Monday before his club opened an interleague series against Arizona.

Scioscia also said the Angels are “very optimistic” about Ohtani’s prognosis. The Japanese star has been simulating swings with a bat in his left hand and participating in strength training and running for the past three to four days. A right-handed pitcher and left-handed batter, he won’t throw for at least two more weeks.

Ohtani is “doing as much as he can without impacting his elbow,” Scioscia said.

The Angels initially said Ohtani would be re-evaluated within three weeks after his injections of platelet-rich plasma and stem cells. That procedure occurred June 7, one day after the Grade 2 sprain was discovered.

Scioscia said Monday the checkup will happen “in two to three weeks,” indicating the Angels might not take the next step in Ohtani’s recovery until July.

“We’re not quite there yet,” Scioscia said. “But I think within the two- or three-week range from now, when he’s evaluated, we’ll certainly have an idea of what you can add to his workload, what he’s able to do. Get an idea where exactly the healing process is, quantify it, and we’ll have an idea.”

Ohtani hasn’t played since June 6, when he left a start after four innings due to another blister on his fingers. The Angels subsequently discovered the strained ligament and took quick steps in hopes of avoiding …read more

Source:: Sportsnet.ca

      

Blue Jays’ Marcus Stroman says his next start will be in MLB

Marcus Stroman is headed back to the Toronto Blue Jays, apparently.

Stroman had been rehabbing a shoulder injury and was scheduled to make a start for the double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats on Monday, but his start was rained out.

He then took to Twitter to post the following message:

I’m back. Next start in the big leagues with the squad. Shout to everyone who helped throughout the process! #HDMH @BlueJays

— Marcus Stroman (@MStrooo6) June 19, 2018

The 27-year-old’s last start was a 5-0 loss to Seattle on May 8.

The righty has struggled in 2018, going 0-5 with a 7.71 ERA in seven starts.

…read more

Source:: Sportsnet.ca

      

Top draft pick Joey Bart hopes to catch on quickly for Giants

SAN FRANCISCO — Joey Bart had never given catching much thought until circumstances beyond his control had him strapping on the equipment.

“I played center field until I was about 11 or 12 years old, and the catcher on our team got diagnosed with diabetes so he couldn’t be out in the hot sun that much,” Bart said Monday night before the Giants opened a three-game series against the Miami Marlins “I just kind of threw the gear on and took over and I never looked back.”

Bart, the No. 2 overall pick in the Major League draft arrived Monday afternoon with his parents and two older brothers.

First up was a tour of the AT&T Park, then a sessio with the media. Bart will stay in San Francisco through Tuesday. Then it’s off to the minor league complex in Arizona and eventually a Single-A assignment for the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes in Oregon.

“Whenever I’m ready, I guess they’ll make that call,” Bart said.

The Giants signed Bart to a reported $7.025 million signing bonus, the largest ever to a position player. If Bart is as far along as the Giants think he is, he’ll be in Salem soon and begin a steady ascent up the ladder.

Bart was the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year, hitting .359 with 16 home runs. He called pitches in high school, and for the past season and a half at Georgia Tech.

“About halfway through last year they let me start taking that over, and this year, I just never looked over to the dugout to the coach, and I didn’t do it all year,” Bart said.

At the time Bart met with the media, he hadn’t yet met manager Bruce Bochy and only a few of the players — Pablo Sandoval, Hunter Strickland, and of courese, Buster Posey.

Ten years ago, …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Sports

      

1 2 3 461