Avenatti law firm evicted after not paying more than $213,000 in back rent

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr. | The Washington Post

Add this to Michael Avenatti’s horrible, no good, very bad week: An Orange County judge has rejected the lawyer’s final appeal to block the eviction of a law practice carrying the possibly presidential aspirant’s name from an ocean-view building in Newport Beach, California.

The firm, Eagan Avenatti, has until Monday to vacate the offices, according to the Los Angeles Times, which first reported the news. The office building’s aggrieved landlord, Irvin Co., sued after Eagan Avenatti didn’t pay rent for four months, some $213,254 in total.

The eviction comes on top of Avenatti’s arrest on domestic-violence charges earlier this week.

“This is ridiculous,” Avenatti said in an email to The Washington Post. “We have multiple offices. This involves my old firm, which was already in the process of moving due to a dispute.”

On Twitter, Avenatti called the eviction claim “more nonsense” and “#Garbage,” and suggested the spreading of the news was politically motivated.

“First, it’s not even my current firm,” he said. “Second, they were already in the process of moving so they didn’t need to be ‘evicted.’ The right is so intent on eliminating me as a threat, they will do and say anything.”

According to the Times, although Avenatti has claimed that Avenatti & Associates and Eagan Avenatti are distinct firms, “they function as the same law practice with the same lawyers and support staff.”

“They are not the same firm,” Avenatti wrote in another email. “They are different entities that use different employees, have different cases, different offices with the exception of one, different bank accounts, different ownership, etc. In fact, Avenatti and Associates was formed in 2006, long before EA.”

His claim that it was character assassination was an echo of what he said after he was booked on a felony domestic violence charge Wednesday, …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Politics

      

‘This would be a very good time to do a shutdown,’ Trump says

By David J. Lynch | The Washington Post

President Donald Trump suggested Saturday he was prepared to shut down the federal government next month if Congress fails to give him the money he wants to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

“If I was ever going to do a shutdown over border security — when you look at the caravan, when you look at the mess, when you look at the people coming in,” the president said. ” … This would be a very good time to do a shutdown.”

The president has asked lawmakers for $5 billion for new wall construction in fiscal 2019, but Democrats oppose the project and a bipartisan Senate compromise earlier this year included just $1.6 billion for it.

During the 2016 campaign, Trump repeatedly promised voters that Mexico would pay for the roughly 2,000-mile barrier, which carries an estimated price tag of $20 billion. Since taking office, however, he has acknowledged that American taxpayers will have to put up the cash.

Speaking to reporters before traveling to California to tour recent wildfire devastation, Trump predicted Democrats would stave off his shutdown threat by agreeing to wall funding.

“I don’t think it’s going to be necessary, because I think the Democrats will come to their senses. And if they don’t come to their senses, we will continue to win elections,” the president said, referring to the Republicans’ success in adding to their Senate majority in congressional elections earlier this month.

Funding for the Department of Homeland Security and several other agencies runs out Dec. 7, meaning a partial government shutdown will occur if a new spending bill is not finalized by then.

Most federal departments, including the Pentagon, are funded through the current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30, but even a partial shutdown of other government activities next month …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Politics

      

Trump again offers GOP votes to make Pelosi speaker — and he sounds serious

By Avi Selk | The Washington Post

President Donald Trump on Saturday re-upped his offer to help Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, become House speaker in the next Congress by rallying Republican members to vote for her; this time it’s not so obvious that he’s joking.

Many had assumed Trump was being sarcastic or trolling the House Democratic leader when he tweeted immediately after Democrats secured a House majority in last week’s midterm elections: “Nancy Pelosi deserves to be chosen Speaker of the House by the Democrats. If they give her a hard time, perhaps we will add some Republican votes.”

Trump, after all, has vilified Pelosi as much as anyone over the years, warning days before the election that she would abolish borders and impose socialism if her party won and she gained power. Her toxic image on the right side of the political spectrum is part of the reason many Democrats have qualms about making her speaker after the party gained a thin majority in last week’s election.

But the president sounded more serious Saturday when he again made the offer, even going so far as to name Rep. Tom Reed of New York as a Republican who might vote for her.

“I can get Nancy Pelosi as many votes as she wants in order for her to be Speaker of the House,” Trump tweeted. “She deserves this victory, she has earned it — but there are those in her party who are trying to take it away. She will win!”

Pelosi is trying to rally support ahead of the Democratic caucus vote Nov. 28. She could come up short in the vote among incoming freshmen to Congress and party holdovers, as many campaigned for the midterms saying they would not support her as the next speaker. This could push the issue to a …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Politics

      

1 2 3 95