Woman sues Kaiser for alleged sexual assault by medical assistant

UNION CITY — A East Bay woman has filed a lawsuit against Kaiser Permanente alleging that she was sexually assaulted by a medical assistant when she went in for a routine visit.

The woman, who is only named as “Jane Doe,” filed the civil lawsuit in Alameda County Superior Court following the incident in January 2017, said her attorney Micha Star Liberty.

Doe went to the Union City Kaiser on Jan. 25, 2017 for a doctor’s visit. While she was in the examining room, a man later identified as Efrain Castanon entered the room. He allegedly grabbed her from behind, put his arm around her throat, while pushing her up against the medical bed, the lawsuit states.

He allegedly told her “I have something for you,” as he grabbed her hand and forced her to touch his bare penis.

“Even though Plaintiff was petrified, she pleaded with him to stop and threatened to scream if he didn’t stop,” said Liberty in a statement.

He also allegedly rubbed himself onto her backside, and she feared she would be raped, the lawsuit states. He also allegedly threatened her to not tell anyone.

Union City Police were called, and a Kaiser doctor allegedly told investigators that he had heard complaints about the medical assistant, according to the lawsuit.

“While the facts of the assault are traumatic, what makes this case more offensive is that Kaiser had previous complaints about this employee, and yet they allowed him to continue to have access to female patients,” Liberty said.

Castanon was arrested and charged by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office with four felonies, including assault with intent to commit a sex crime, sexual battery by restraint, false imprisonment by violence and dissuading a witness from reporting a crime. He is currently awaiting trial and is not in custody.

But in the civil lawsuit, Doe …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Health

California flu deaths jump from 42 to 74; Greater Bay Area reports 25

Flu deaths of Californians under 65 soared again in the latest reporting period and now total 74, according to state public health officials on Friday.

The latest figure represents a spike of 32 in addition to the 42 deaths announced by the state last week — and an increase of six in the Greater Bay Area over the same period.

Flu-related fatalities around the region now total 25, including six deaths in Contra Costa County; five in Santa Clara County; four in Monterey County; three in Santa Cruz County; two each in San Benito, San Mateo, and Solano counties, and one in Marin County.

The flu season, which began Oct. 1, has exploded over the last month in the Golden State, and is on track to being the worst in 10 years. State public health officials are urging anyone who has not yet received the flu vaccine to get one immediately.

The U.S. Centers for Disease and Control now estimates this year’s flu vaccine to be around 30 percent effective against H3N2 — the dominant strain of the virus circulating the planet. But, as public health officials emphasize, getting the flu shot is still the best way of protecting yourself from the flu, and reducing its severity if you contract the virus.

Vaccines are especially important for people at high risk for serious flu-related complications that can lead to hospitalization and even death. They include pregnant women; children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old; people 65 years of age and older and people who have certain medical conditions, such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease.

Flu is very common, and most cases are not diagnosed because the ill person does not seek health care, or if they do, a test for flu is not done, state public health officials say.

The only …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Health

Chicago West? Kim Kardashian and Kanye West could start one baby name trend while riding another

With the name they have chosen for their new daughter, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West could very well launch a trend of other couples naming their baby girls after this midwestern city.

They have chosen to call their four-day-old infant Chicago. Kardashian announced the name on her app by simply posting “Chicago West,” TMZ reported.

But the entertainment power couple weren’t just arbitrarily looking for baby name inspiration from any major American metropolis. It just so happens that Chicago is rapper West’s hometown.

The girl was born Monday morning via surrogate, Kardashian announced Tuesday.

“Kanye and I are happy to announced the arrival of our beautiful baby girl,” Kardashian said in a statement. She added that the girl is a healthy 7 pounds, 6 ounces.

It’s been reported that the couple hired a 27-year-old San Diego-area woman to be their surrogate. The birth reportedly took place at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center near Beverly Hills. The hospital is known as the preferred place for celebrities to give birth, and it’s the facility where the couple welcomed Chicago’s big sister North, 4, and older brother Saint, 2.

And now that Chicago is here, it will be interesting to see if there will be more Chicagos turning up in the Social Security Administration’s lists of popular baby names.

It turns out that Chicago is a pretty unique name, which may please this couple who like to think of themselves always being ahead of the curve on matters of pop culture. According to the agency, Chicago is not in the top 1000 names for girls or boys for any year of birth since 2000.

Of course that could all change. But Kardashian and West aren’t pioneering the idea of naming a son or daughter after a city, according to Babycenter.com.

“Place names are hot! It just goes to show that …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Lifestyle

HHS releases new rules on health workers’ objections

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey and Ariana Eunjung Cha | Washington Post

WASHINGTON – Citing President Donald Trump’s “pro-life mission,” the Health and Human Services Department announced actions on Friday that are designed to roll back key health-care policies of the Obama administration.

Roger Severino, director for the HHS Office of Civil Rights, said a proposed rule on “conscience rights” will further protect health-care workers who think they are being punished or discriminated against because of their beliefs.

Start your day with the news you need from the Bay Area and beyond.
Sign up for our new Morning Report weekday newsletter.

Speaking as thousands of abortion opponents gathered on the National Mall for the annual March for Life, Severino told reporters that the division’s focus would be on “actions,” as in types of medical procedures, rather than groups of people. He drew parallels with Target refusing to sell guns. “This is not about denying anyone health care,” he said during a conference call.

The rule follows the department’s announcement on Thursday that it was creating a new civil rights division to review complaints from doctors, nurses and others under 25 existing statutes, most of which allow workers to opt out of procedures like abortion, assisted suicide and sterilization.

The document released outlines financial and legal consequences for employers who “intimidate or retaliate” against those who believe that participating in a procedure would cause them to violate their conscience. The number of medical institutions and groups that would be covered is massive – as many as 745,000, according to the department – and includes hospitals, nursing facilities, dentists, pharmacies, retirement communities, ambulance services and colleges and universities.

HHS estimates that implementation of this rule would cost $312.3 million in Year One and $125.5 million annually in Years Two through Five.

Under President Barack Obama, HHS replaced …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Health

1 2 3 4 99