Measles exposures hits Google’s Mountain View headquarters

Google employees may have been exposed to measles after a San Mateo resident diagnosed with the virus “spent some time” at the Mountain View headquarters within the last couple of weeks, health officials said.

Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County health officer and public health director, would not confirm whether the San Mateo resident was an employee of Google.

“The person was a resident of San Mateo county, but the exposure occurred in Santa Clara (County), so we took the lead of ensuring that anyone in Santa Clara county got proper follow,” Cody said at a press conference Wednesday.

Buzzfeed reported that a physician at Google sent a letter to employees notifying them that a worker who had visited the tech giant’s office at 1295 Charleston Road on April 4 had recently been diagnosed with measles.

“We have been working with the Santa Clara County Public Health Department and they would like us to share this measles advisory, which contains information on measles, exposure risks and actions to be taken,” Buzzfeed reported that physician wrote to employees on April 13.

So far this year, four measles cases have been confirmed in Santa Clara County and two cases have been confirmed in San Mateo County.

In Santa Clara County, vaccination rates among children are high, with over 97 percent on average in public schools and over 94 percent on average in private schools, according to the county’s website.

Therefore, Cody said the vast majority of residents don’t have to anything to be concerned about. “It’s unusual to see spread of illness because of these vaccination rates,” she said.

“The reason county health departments take measles so seriously is because of infants,” Cody said. “Infants are usually not vaccinated until their a year old, so the way to protect infants is to ensure the community …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Business

      

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes fights feds over documents, trial date amid criminal prosecution

Elizabeth Holmes, charged with felony conspiracy and fraud for allegedly misleading patients, doctors and investors about her now-defunct Silicon Valley blood-testing company Theranos, is demanding more documents from federal authorities and pushing to delay a trial date.

Former Theranos CEO Holmes and former company president Sunny Balwani were indicted by a grand jury in June. They are charged with 11 criminal counts of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Federal prosecutors allege the pair claimed their purportedly revolutionary “miniLab” system could use a few drops of blood from a finger-prick to quickly conduct a full range of tests, when in fact it had accuracy and reliability problems, performed limited tests, and was slower than some competing devices. Theranos’ machines had been available for patient use at Walgreens stores in Palo Alto and Arizona.

The FBI has alleged that Holmes and Balwani endangered health and lives.

Now, after the government produced some 20 million pages of documents for Holmes’ legal team to review, and said it’s going through a million more pages to see what can be handed to her team, prosecutors say they’ve done enough disclosure, a federal judge said in a memo filed in court.

But Holmes’ team wants more, according to the judge. They’ve requested documents from federal agencies including the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and the Department of Defense, the judge said in the memo filed Monday in San Jose U.S. District Court.

Before the company Holmes founded in 2003 shut down late last year, she and Balwani told investors Theranos didn’t need FDA approval for their product but were seeking it voluntarily because it was the “gold standard,” when in reality the FDA was requiring Theranos’ system be approved, according to the criminal indictment against the two.

They also told …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Business

      

Trump announces new restrictions aimed at Cuba

By Karen DeYoung | Washington Post

WASHINGTON – The Trump administration is reimposing limits on the amount of money Cuban Americans can send to relatives on the island and ordering new restrictions on U.S. citizen, nonfamily travel to Cuba, national security adviser John Bolton said Wednesday.

The new measures, outlined by Bolton in a Miami speech, follow an announcement by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that the administration will lift restraints that have prevented lawsuits from U.S. citizens seeking compensation for property expropriated by the Cuban revolutionary government that seized power there more than six decades ago.

Bolton also announced new sanctions against Venezuela and Nicaragua that will bar parts of their banking systems from U.S. dollar transactions.

The actions are the latest move in President Donald Trump’s efforts to roll back the Obama administration’s openings to Havana, and to punish Cuba for its support for the Venezuelan government of President Nicolás Maduro.

Trump, with the support of most governments in Latin America, has recognized opposition leader Juan Guaidó as Venezuela’s legitimate interim president and charged that tens of thousands of Cuban military and intelligence agents are enabling Maduro to stay in power.

New sanctions against Venezuela’s Central Bank, Bolton said, should also be a “strong warning to all external actors, including Russia,” which has provided financial support to Venezuela, sold military equipment to its government, and last month deployed about 100 military personnel there.

“The United States will consider such provocative actions a threat to international peace and security in the region,” he said.

In a fiery speech to the Bay of Pigs veterans group, on the anniversary of the failed CIA-orchestrated invasion of the island in 1958, Bolton said, “Today, we proudly proclaim for all to hear: the Monroe Doctrine is alive and well.” The 1823 doctrine holds that the United States will not tolerate foreign …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Business

      

Key downtown San Jose Armory site bought by busy developer

SAN JOSE — The San Jose Armory, a historic downtown building that was constructed eight decades ago, has been bought by a group led by one of the busiest developers in the Bay Area’s largest city.

Gary Dillabough, an active downtown developer and realty investor who is studying an array of options to revive the old Armory with unique new uses, has struck a deal to purchase the building that’s located at 240 N. 2nd St. in San Jose.

“It’s a beautiful building,” Dillabough said. “It’s one of the prettiest buildings in downtown San Jose.”

Terms of the purchase weren’t disclosed.

“We really want to do something special with this building,” Dillabough said.

The construction of the San Jose Armory in 1933 was bankrolled through one of numerous federal grants that were issued during the Great Depression. Completed in 1934, the building was one of the armories owned by the state’s California Army National Guard, according to a post on the Military Museum website.

The Military Museum site also stated the San Jose Armory is deemed to be a significant historic resource because of its association with World War II, its connections with the state-owned armories of the early 20th Century and its architectural style.

“The armory is essentially a two-story assembly hall set behind a two-story office wing,” the Military Museum site stated. “The armory is constructed with board-formed concrete and has Spanish Revival stylistic details.”

A number of unique uses come to mind for the 19,000-square-foot building, Dillabough said.

“A theater, a museum, the best bookstore in the world, something that would be special,” Dillabough said. “It could be a school because it’s so close to St. James Park.”

…read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Business

      

1 2 3 4 58