The Pentagon orders operational training pause for all Saudi students in the US after NAS Pensacola shooting

The main gate at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Navy Boulevard in Pensacola, Fla.

The Pentagon has ordered a pause on operational training for all Saudi military personnel training in the US in the wake of the Naval Air Station Pensacola shooting.
The move will limit training for all 852 Saudi students training at US military facilities to the classroom, pending the completion of a review of relevant vetting and security procedures.
This decision follows a deadly shooting Friday in which a member of the Saudi military killed three and injured several others at NAS Pensacola.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

The Department of Defense has ordered a pause on operational training for all Saudi military personnel training in the US as the department conducts a review in the wake of the deadly shooting last Friday at Naval Air Station Pensacola, according to a DoD memo.

Deputy Secretary of Defense David L. Norquist, at the order of Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, issued a memo Tuesday calling for the department to take “immediate steps to strengthen personnel vetting” for international military students and complete a review within 10 days of “policies and procedures for screening foreign students and granting access to our bases.”

“Pending the completion of a security and safety stand-down,” he wrote, “training of KSA students at US installations will be limited to the classroom.”

The Pentagon notes that the US has trained more than 28,000 Saudi students “without serious incident,” but the “tragic loss of life” that occurred last Friday has led the department to reassess its security procedures. The latest move will affect all 852 Saudi students currently training in the US.

The decision follows an earlier decision by the Navy to suspend flight training for more than 300 Saudi military aviation students at three different Navy facilities, namely NAS Pensacola, NAS Whiting Field, and NAS Mayport as part of an ongoing safety stand-down …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

CDC Releases List of Vape Brands Linked to Respiratory Illnesses

Watch Video

The CDC has released the first list of vape brands most commonly linked to the recent lung-related illnesses.

Overall, 80% of the nearly 2,300 reported hospitalizations said they vaped liquids containing THC, the psychoactive compound in marijuana.

The CDC included brands like TKO, Smart Cart and Rove, but the most commonly used product among sick patients was Dank Vapes.

As Newsy’s previously reported, “Dank Vapes” is a generic label that can be bought online — allowing black market sellers to put it on any product regardless of what it is or how it was made.

Some brands are attempting to combat the use of their name on the black market by adding scannable QR codes to their products to help users confirm its legitimacy.

Rove says, “If your [Rove] cartridge box does not have a QR code, unfortunately it is counterfeit. Genuine Rove products are only sold in licensed dispensaries. If you bought it anywhere else, it is counterfeit.”

Although the number lung injury cases appears to be declining, investigators want more data before narrowing down a culprit. The CDC advises people to refrain from using vaping products and for states to remain vigilant with these cases while they investigate.

…read more

Source:: Newsy Headlines

      

What Northern Ireland’s MPs will and won’t do in a hung parliament

Arlene Foster launches the DUP's 2019 manifesto

With the Tory lead narrowing, the 18 seats Great Britain’s pollsters ignore could again make or break the government – and up to six could change hands on Thursday.

With the Conservative lead narrowing not only in YouGov’s MRP model but in every other poll, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn could find themselves in much the same position as Theresa May did on 9 June 2017: needing the support of Northern Irish MPs to govern.

Much has changed since the last election – not least the Brexit process, and, for that matter, the likely composition of Northern Ireland’s 18-strong Commons cohort. Last time, the DUP and Sinn Féin won 17 seats between them – a record showing at the expense of the SDLP and Ulster Unionists, both of whom were wiped out. Sylvia Hermon, the independent unionist, made up the numbers.

LucidTalk, Northern Ireland’s sole pollster, does not forecast a repeat. Nor, in private, do the parties. Hermon has taken the election as her cue to retire, while Sinn Féin, the SDLP and Green Party have forged ad hoc electoral pacts in the three Belfast constituencies held by the DUP, with the express intention of unseating them.

If LucidTalk’s projections are borne out (it is worth noting that it incorrectly called three seats in 2017), the DUP will remain on 10 seats – losing South Belfast to the SDLP, and gaining North Down. Sinn Féin will fall to six seats – losing Foyle to the SDLP. The two SDLP gains make up the numbers to 18.

Two seats, however, are too close to call under the projection – North Belfast, where DUP deputy leader Nigel Dodds faces a concerted challenge from Sinn Féin, and Foyle. East Belfast, where Alliance leader Naomi Long is attempting to unseat the DUP’s Gavin Robinson, is …read more

Source:: New Statesman

      

Bernie Sanders has a $150 billion plan to turn the internet into a public utility with low prices and fast speeds — here’s how his plan works

Bernie Sanders, November 2019

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders recently announced a $150 billion, four-point plan that would fundamentally transform how the internet works in the United States.
The plan would effectively turn the internet into a publicly-provided utility, similar to how water and power are distributed.
The broadest goal of the proposal is to provide every American with access to affordable high-speed internet. “High-speed internet service must be treated as the new electricity,” the proposal says, “a public utility that everyone deserves as a basic human right.”
Here’s how Bernie thinks it can be done.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders just unveiled a sweeping $150 billion proposal that would fundamentally reshape how the internet works in the United States.

The plan, dubbed “High-Speed Internet for All,” would effectively turn the internet into a public utility along the lines of water and power. “High-speed internet service must be treated as the new electricity,” the proposal says, “a public utility that everyone deserves as a basic human right.”

To that end, the $150 billion would go to creating “publicly owned and democratically controlled, co-operative, or open access broadband networks.”

Here’s how it works:

SEE ALSO: Photos capture how Bernie Sanders went from being a working-class kid in Brooklyn to a top 2020 Democratic presidential candidate

1. Requiring internet service providers like Verizon and Comcast to offer “a Basic Internet Plan that provides quality broadband speeds at an affordable price.”

The core of Sanders’ high-speed internet plan is to provide internet for everyone in an affordable way.

Its primary method for doing that: FCC regulation.

“The FCC will review prices and regulate rates where necessary, ensuring areas without competition aren’t able to run up prices,” the plan says. “We will also require providers to offer a basic plan for a regulated rate to all …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

1 2 3 2,180