US Capitol riots aftermath

Summary List Placement

An internal FBI situational report warned on January 5 that pro-Trump insurrectionists would wage a “war” at the US Capitol the next day, The Washington Post reported.

The bureau’s office in Virginia issued the warning, saying that it “received information indicating calls for violence in response to ‘unlawful lockdowns’ to begin on 6 January 2021 in Washington. D.C.,” The Post reported.

It went on to cite an “online thread” that “discussed specific calls for violence,” including one that said, “‘Be ready to fight. Congress needs to hear glass breaking, doors being kicked in, and blood from their BLM and Pantifa slave soldiers being spilled. Get violent. Stop calling this a march, or rally, or a protest. Go there ready for war. We get our President or we die. NOTHING else will achieve this goal.'”

Trump supporters also reportedly shared a map of tunnels running underneath the Capitol complex and locations in Kentucky, Massachusetts, South Carolina, and Pennsylvania where rallygoers could meet up before heading to Washington, DC to attend a “Save America” rally that the president was headlined.

An FBI official familiar with the situational report told The Post the bureau’s Norfolk office put the document together within 45 minutes of becoming aware of the information in the thread and that officials at the Washington, DC, field office were briefed on it the day before the rally. But it’s unclear if other law enforcement agencies were contacted.

The Post’s report directly undercuts a senior FBI official’s earlier claim that the bureau had no intelligence suggesting there would be violence at the Capitol after the rally. It also adds another layer to what appears to have been a massive intelligence failure that contributed to the pro-Trump mob being able to storm the US Capitol, where every sitting member of Congress and the sitting vice president had convened to count up the 2020 electoral votes, with relative ease.

  Gov. Newsom calls up California National Guard in preparation for presidential inauguration

US Capitol Police chief Steven Sund stepped down from his post after calls for his resignation mounted, and he told The Post in an interview that both the House and Senate sergeants at arms — both of whom have since been fired or forced out — turned down his requests that the Washington, DC National Guard be placed on standby in case he needed backup.

The Department of Homeland Security has also been accused of not taking the threat of white supremacist terrorism seriously enough, and leaders at the DHS’ Intelligence and Analysis Unit didn’t view the pro-Trump demonstrations as a serious threat. Amid the lack of interagency coordination and poor planning, the US Capitol Police and Washington, DC’s metropolitan police denied offers for additional backup from the National Guard until the riot was well underway. Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan also said last week that the head of the National Guard at the federal level rejected requests to deploy the state’s National Guard troops for 90 minutes.  

Before the siege, Trump riled …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *