A former royal bodyguard told us the security challenges Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could face in Canada
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex could face additional challenges to their security now that they’re working towards financial independence from the royal family.
That’s according to former royal protection officer Simon Morgan, who says that the threat to Prince Harry and Meghan is never going to go away.
The Queen announced on Monday that Meghan and Harry will spend time in both the UK and Canada, which means the couple have multiple options for their security.
While Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said will be “lots of discussions” on whether taxpayers will fund the couple’s security, Morgan said they could also hire an experienced private firm.
“Protection done well is a lifestyle choice,” Morgan told Insider. “Not many people have experience dealing with members of the royal family.”
Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Now that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are cutting ties with the royal family, their security detail will likely change.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex last week announced plans to step back from their senior roles in the royal family and work towards becoming financially independent.
There has been debate on whether the couple should — or would — be able to continue using royal protection officers, since they are sourced by the Metropolitan Police and funded by the British taxpayer.
Alternatively, security could be provided by a private firm or potentially even the Canadian government, since the couple plan to spend some time there.
One person who knows the ins and outs of royal protection is Simon Morgan, who worked as a bodyguard to members of the royal family from 2007 until 2013.
Morgan, who now works as the Director of Operations and Training at private security firm Trojan Consultancy, says the couple could pay for …read more
Source:: Business Insider