Turkey slams Saudi Arabia over investigation into killing
By Loveday Morris and Souad Mekhennet | Washington Post
ISTANBUL – Turkish officials on Wednesday accused Saudi Arabia of not cooperating with Turkey’s investigation into the disappearance of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul last week, as video footage and the names of a 15-member Saudi team suspected of ties to the case emerged.
Turkey has put in a request to enter the consulate, where Khashoggi was last seen Oct. 2 as he stepped through the compound’s front gate to obtain papers for his wedding. However, despite Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s offer to Bloomberg News for the Turkish government to search the premises, Saudi Arabia is delaying and does not want an investigative team to enter, one senior Turkish official said.
Saudi officials in Washington, D.C., did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
“The Saudis now seem to delay,” the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation. “They say: ‘You can’t make a proper investigation here. You just come here for a cup of tea and we’ll show you around.’ ”
“The Saudis are not cooperative in this investigation,” another Turkish official said. “We don’t have the access we need to the consulate or to the consul’s house.”
Under the Vienna Convention, a host country cannot enter the grounds of a foreign diplomatic mission without permission. Saudi officials strongly deny any involvement in the disappearance of Khashoggi, a contributor to The Washington Post’s Global Opinions section, and insist that he left the consulate unharmed that day. However, they have not presented any evidence to back that claim. They say their numerous video cameras were not recording at the time.
The senior Turkish official said Turkish authorities have “strong indications” that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate. They also hope to search the Saudi consul …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Politics