Administration says half of separated children ineligible for reunions
By Maria Sacchetti | Washington Post
The Trump administration says it has reunited 57 of 103 young migrant children with their parents after separations of weeks or months, but won’t return another 46 children for reasons that range from concerns about their safety to their parents having been deported.
U.S. District Judge Dana M. Sabraw in San Diego had given federal officials until Tuesday to reunite all children under age 5 who had been separated from their parents or other adults as part of the Trump administration’s crackdown on people crossing the U.S.-Mexico border illegally.
Start your day with the news you need from the Bay Area and beyond.
Sign up for our Morning Report weekday newsletter.
The separations – which also involve “under 3,000” older children – have sparked international outrage and considerable confusion. Sabraw has given the government until July 26 to reunite the older children with their parents; the government said it would provide a list of those children Thursday to the American Civil Liberties Union, which filed the class-action lawsuit that led to the judge’s ruling.
In a joint statement Thursday morning, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the government has “worked tirelessly” to reunite children taken from their parents by the government, while also assuring “the well-being of the children and returning them to a safe environment.”
“Our message has been clear all along: Do not risk your own life or the life of your child by attempting to enter the United States illegally,” the statement said. “Apply lawfully and wait your turn.”
The ACLU said the government is in violation of Sabraw’s order because it failed to meet Tuesday’s deadline. Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project, said the organization would decide …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Politics