Cohen reportedly solicited $1 million from Qatari official
By Karen DeYoung, Josh Dawsey and Rosalind S. Helderman | Washington Post
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s personal attorney, solicited a payment of at least $1 million from the government of Qatar in late 2016, in exchange for access to and advice about the then-incoming administration, according to several people with knowledge of the episode.
The offer, which Qatar declined, came on the margins of a Dec. 12 meeting that year at Trump Tower between the Persian Gulf state’s foreign minister and Michael Flynn, who became Trump’s first national security adviser. Steve Bannon, who became chief White House strategist, also attended, the people said.
Start your day with the news you need from the Bay Area and beyond.
Sign up for our new Morning Report weekday newsletter.
Cohen did not participate in the official meetings but spoke separately to a member of the Qatari delegation, Ahmed al-Rumaihi, who at the time was head of the investments division of the country’s sovereign wealth fund, the Qatar Investment Authority.
Details emerged last week on how Cohen leveraged his relationship with Trump to receive millions of dollars from companies eager for insight and entree into the new president’s inner circle. They included AT&T, the global pharmaceutical giant Novartis, a Korean defense contractor and Columbus Nova, a New York-based investment firm with ties to a Russian oligarch. All have confirmed payments to Cohen.
But news of the Qatar solicitation marks the first time Cohen is believed to have pitched his influence directly to a foreign government.
A spokesman for Rumaihi, after first saying he would be available for an interview, said he was no longer available late Wednesday. The private company Rumaihi – who is no longer in government – founded last year, Sport Trinity, did not respond to a request for comment. The Intercept reported Wednesday …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Politics