Government, citing ruling, again will accept requests for DACA protection
The Washington Post
WASHINGTON – The federal government, citing a recent court order, said Saturday that it is again accepting requests for grants of deferred action under the DACA, or “dreamers,” program, which has protected thousands of young people from deportation.
The Trump administration had planned to rescind work permits for the young undocumented immigrants, insisting that it was for Congress to find a solution to the issue of their status. The Obama-era program has protected those without documentation who were brought here as children.
Start your day with the news you need from the Bay Area and beyond.
Sign up for our new Morning Report weekday newsletter.
In deciding to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the Trump administration had called it an egregious example of executive overreach.
But last week, a federal judge in San Francisco said the nearly 690,000 DACA recipients must retain their work permits and their protection from deportation while a lawsuit moves forward. That suit challenges the decision to end the program.
Ghanaian president to Trump: We are not a ‘shithole country’
Amazon’s Jeff Bezos donating $33 million for ‘Dreamers’ scholarships
Trump’s use of vulgar language to describe Haiti triggers outrage across the social-media universe
Bay Area Haitians disgusted by president’s ‘shithole’ comments
Haitians mark quake anniversary, demand Trump apology
In a statement issued Saturday, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services said those previously granted deferred action under DACA may request renewal by filing the proper forms.
“Until further notice, and unless otherwise provided in this guidance, the DACA …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Politics