Las Vegas gunman methodically sought to ‘thwart’ investigation of massacre, FBI says
(Click here if you’re having seeing this video or photo gallery on a mobile device.)
By Mark Berman | The Washington Post
The Las Vegas gunman who opened fire on concertgoers in October carefully prepared both for the attack and the investigation that would follow, according to hundreds of pages of court documents made public late Friday.
In the court documents, which detail some of the early days of the investigation, 64-year-old gunman Stephen Paddock is described as spending significant time amassing his weapons and stockpiling ammunition while also seeking “to thwart the eventual law enforcement investigation” into the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.
Paddock, firing from his high-rise hotel suite at the Mandalay Bay resort, killed 58 people and injured hundreds of others at a country-music festival on the Las Vegas Strip far below before killing himself, police said.
Start your day with the news you need from the Bay Area and beyond.
Sign up for our new Morning Report weekday newsletter.
The newly released documents do not answer the main question that has lingered since the Oct. 1 attack: What motivated Paddock to carry it out?
Though many details in the more than 300 pages of documents — which were unsealed in response to requests from media organizations — were previously known, the filings capture both Paddock’s actions before the massacre and what law enforcement officials would do in the aftermath.
An FBI special agent wrote in one affidavit seeking a search warrant that “the methodical nature of the planning employed by Paddock, coupled with his efforts to undermine the preceding investigation, are factors indicative of a level of sophistication which is commonly found in mass casualty events such as this.”
Paddock purchased the items used in his attack during the year leading up to it, the FBI …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Nation, World