U.S. soccer loses rising star from Santa Rosa to Mexico


By Steven Goff, (c) 2018, The Washington Post

Billed as a “focus on the future,” the U.S. Soccer Federation on Monday announced the MLS-heavy roster for this month’s men’s national team training camp. It comes on a day, however, when news broke that one of the most promising young players in American soccer wants to play for archrival Mexico, instead.

Jonathan Gonzalez, 18, was not available for this camp, anyway, because if falls outside an official FIFA window. Like most Mexican- and European-based players, he is fully engaged in his club season. However, as first reported by Univision Deportes and confirmed by the Insider, the Santa Rosa-raised central midfielder for Mexican club Monterrey is seeking to switch his national team allegiance to Mexico.

If FIFA approves the move in time, he could debut for El Tri in a friendly against Bosnia on Jan. 31 in San Antonio and, in the coming months, contend for a roster spot on Mexico’s World Cup squad.

Gonzalez, who has played for U.S. youth national teams since the U-14 stage, is eligible to play for Mexico because his parents are from Mexico and he has dual citizenship. His profile rose this past fall in a starring role for Monterrey: 20 starts as the Rayados finished first in the Apertura season before losing to Tigres in the two-leg playoff finals.

He was not called into the U.S. national team for a November friendly against Portugal, though the circumstances are unclear. Monterrey apparently asked the USSF not to summon him, but because the match fell in a FIFA window, the power rested with the U.S. federation.

“Nobody came and talked to me and let me know about that friendly,” he told Soccer America last month. “I just wasn’t called in.”

The U.S. team’s failure to qualify for the World Cup, one source said, figured …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Sports

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *