SANTA CLARA — After road-sweet-road wins, the 49ers are preparing for Sunday’s home opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and fans have prepared these 10 questions via my Twitter and Instagram feeds:
1. How convinced are you about the offense scoring 30-plus points per game? (@8ajrr)
Ah, but wait, the 49ers defense’s pick-sixes accounted for two touchdowns in the 31-17 opener at Tampa, and not every defense will yield 500-plus yards like the Bengals did in Sunday’s 41-17 rout. I am surprisingly convinced the 49ers defense can post sub-20 scores weekly.
2. Are Garoppolo’s INTs happening because he’s not improvising outside the system? (@teoniemann)
Pretty sure the system doesn’t call for throws into triple coverage. Sarcasm aside, Garappolo thrived on the fly in December 2017. He knows the system better now, and not locking onto a primary receiver remains key in any system. Sunday’s win was vintage Garoppolo (circa 2017)
3. When we trading for Jalen Ramsey? (@READYBOi_)
Let’s see if the Jaguars lower their ransom demands of reportedly two first-round draft picks. If the 49ers can get Ramsey for less, they’ll also have to bring him a real Brinks truck and perhaps swap a starting-caliber player (Ahkello Witherspoon’s value is soaring). Otherwise: bank on an upgraded pass rush to bolster the secondary, and that’s working.
4. Is Dee Ford’s knee more concerning than we thought? (@cc_breeze)
We only found out a week into camp about his knee tendinitis. I wouldn’t expect another three-week shutdown for platelet-rich plasma therapy. Rest could help, so next week’s bye is timely.
5. Is Deebo establishing himself as the No. 1 receiver in the near future? (@i_am_fake_jesus)
Looks that way, and has for the past month. His physicality and route running are ideal to move the chains, if he holds onto the ball. George Kittle will remain the No. 1 target, and Marquise Goodwin
Source:: The Mercury News – Sports