Democrats are working to explose Trump’s private conversations with Putin

trump putin

Two leading Democrats are working with the House General Counsel to find the best ways to legally force the Trump administration to hand over information about Donald Trump’s private discussions with Vladimir Putin.
The July sit-down in Helsinki was reportedly the first time US and Russian presidents have met alone, prompting former CIA director John Brennan and others to criticize the meeting.
The Trump administration is likely to fight any efforts to compel more disclosure.

Democrats are now publicly exploring legal options to compel President Donald Trump to disclose information about his private meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in July, according to Politico.
Any such moves will likely be met with fierce opposition from the Trump administration, judging by Trump’s efforts already to keep the information private.

Rep. Adam Schiff, the Intelligence Committee chairman, and Rep. Eliot Engel, the Foreign Affairs Committee chairman, told Politico they’re working with House General Counsel Douglas Letter to plan how to force the administration to reveal documents or other information about the talks.

“I had a meeting with the general counsel to discuss this and determine the best way to find out what took place in those private meetings — whether it’s by seeking the interpreter’s testimony, the interpreter’s notes, or other means,” Schiff told Politico.

The July meeting in Helsinki was reportedly the first time in history presidents from the US and Russia have met alone. After the one-on-one, Trump indicated at a press conference that he believes Russia over the US intelligence community when it comes to the Kremlin’s meddling in the 2016 US election.
At the time, ex-CIA director John Brennan and some Republicans slammed the private meeting and Trump’s performance at the ensuing media event.
Last month, the Washington Post published a bombshell report that said …read more

Source:: Business Insider

      

Trump’s declaration of national emergency faces political and legal challenges

By Damian Paletta, Mike DeBonis, John Wagner and Amy B Wang | The Washington Post

A day after President Donald Trump declared a national emergency — in an attempt to circumvent Congress and redirect taxpayer money to fund 230 miles of barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border — the designation has been beset with political and legal challenges.

Democrats painted the action as evidence of a rogue president who has finally gone too far, and they vowed to stop him. While some Republicans said they supported Trump, others expressed disapproval, fearing the move would set an undesired precedent or deprive other projects of necessary funds.

Even in his declaration, Trump said he expected to be sued and anticipated the Supreme Court would ultimately decide the case. Still, in a freewheeling news conference Friday afternoon, he attempted to justify the executive action in hopes of fulfilling a campaign promise that has eluded him for two years. Hours later, Trump flew to Mar-a-Lago, his Florida estate.

Trump’s announcement capped a frenetic two-month period that included the longest government shutdown in U.S. history, at 35 days; the re-emergence of Democrats as a political force; and a Republican Party caught between taking signals from Trump and bucking his unconventional impulses. It also begins a new phase of his presidency that will test the separation of powers, as he sidesteps Congress despite Republicans urging restraint.

During a 50-minute, meandering Rose Garden news conference Friday, Trump offered little empirical evidence to back up his assertion that there was a crisis on the border requiring an extraordinary response. Instead, he invoked hyperbolic, campaign-style rhetoric about lawlessness that he said only walls could suitably address.

“We’re talking about an invasion of our country with drugs, with human traffickers, with all types of criminals and gangs,” he said. He used the word “invasion” seven times.

He later …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Politics

      

LG’s first 5G phone just leaked — here’s the V50 ThinQ

OK, I’m about convinced that Vlad is right — phone manufacturers aren’t even trying anymore. Hot on the heels of learning practically everything Samsung could possibly announce at its Galaxy S10 press conference later this month, including up to five phones and an entire wearables lineup, LG’s new superphone — the LG V50 ThinQ — has just broken cover, and it turns an entire trail of bread crumbs into a remarkably full picture of a phone worth watching for.

We knew that LG was bringing a 5G smartphone to Sprint in the first half of 2019 — and separately, we’d heard that the company might debut its rumored, 5G-equipped V50 superphone alongside the likely-to-be-more-reasonably-priced LG G8 at Mobile World Congress later this month.

But now,…

Continue reading…

…read more

Source:: The Verge – All Posts

      

1 2 3 1,952